Tuesday, May 25, 2010

The Reluctant Fundamentalist - Moshin Hamid - Rockdale Reader's Choice April 2010

The Reluctant Fundamentalist is Changez story. He is the narrator and it is through his voice that we know what is going on. The story starts with Changez meeting an American man in the Anarkali area of Lahore, Pakistan and offers to show him the excellent tea Pakistan has to offer. They sit
and Changez talks the rest of the day. The American is edgy and on guard all through the story and the ending is abrupt, leaving the reader wondering.

I first read this book when it came out in 2007. I enjoyed reading the book, but was left feeling frustrated by the open ending. I like my books wrapped up neatly at the end and feel cheated when I'm left hanging in the air, especially when there is not opening for a sequel.

No comments:

Post a Comment