Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The Good Luck Girl - Kerry Reichs

Ok, I have to admit that what drew me to this book was the cover. It was
all pink and purple and flowery... all very girly. Kerry Reichs is the
daughter of Kathy Reichs - writer of the Temperance Brennan books. I quite
like those books and I quite enjoyed The good luck girl.
It's the story of Maeve Connolly, who after going into remission and
graduating from college decides to start over again in L.A. Only to get
there she is taking a road trip in a car named
Elsie. Her trip takes her to places with unusual names like Nothing  and other
similarly odd named towns. Elsie breaks down in Unknown, Arizona. It's
here, unbeknownst to her that her new life starts. I don't want to give too
much of the story away so I'll stop here.
It's an easy and enjoyable read. There was one thing that annoyed me during
the first half of the book and that was that she takes up photography
seriously using a film camera. The book is set in current times, I keep
thinking 2009 because that's when it was published. Most people now use
digital cameras. It's a rare place that still has film developing. I know
this invites debate over whether film or digital is better... but that's
beside the point. I am slow in taking up new technology, but even I've had
a digital camera for 5 years. I'm stepping down off my soap box now.

No comments:

Post a Comment