Thursday, July 26, 2012

Jason Akermanis: Open Season - Jason Akermanis with Gary Smart

Jason Akermanis: Open Season
By Jason Akermanis with Gary Smart
Hardie Grant 2010
pg 338
About the bookNo longer restrained by contractual obligations and free to speak at last, Aker reveals a no-holds-barred look at a stellar sporting career, including behind-the-scenes details of Aker's falling out with Leigh Matthews, his move to the Western Bulldogs, run ins with fellow players, and his thoughts on the game. Interwoven throughout is the personal story of finding and reconciling with his biological father - a married man with a family of his own who lived next door. Told with trademark honesty and passion, this
tell-all memoir is a must-have for all footy fans.

My ThoughtsI never liked Jason Akermanis as an AFL player. He was one of those characters of the game who fans love to hate and as a Sydney Swans fan I loved to hate him... well not hate really, but I did think he was a bit of
a tosser. I think he did bring something to the game that wasn't there before. He brought excitement and wasn't afraid to be an individual. His handstands after a win became a trademark move, and apparently fans loved it! But he also brought controversy.

Most of us only got one side of the story when he was release from both the Brisbane Lions and Western Bulldogs. Me even less so because I didn't pay that much attention to what was being reported in the media. I remember in 2006 when it was rumoured the Swans were interested in him, I was becoming interested in not being a Swans fan if he joined them. Never did I think I would ever read, let alone buy and enjoy a memoir/biography of him.

I think what I liked most about the book was that it was so easy to read. I sat down on Sunday morning and surfaced only for food and natural breaks and had it read by early evening. It was so nice to be able to do that. It was interesting to read about the behind the scenes politics that go on at a football club, and the jealousy between players. Sometimes you can tell when a team member is on the outer - they don't tend to get the ball - but most of the time spectators don't get to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment