Thursday, April 8, 2010

Hamish MacBeth - an Easter overdose

At this time of year, it is usually Easter Eggs and chocolate that gets consumed to excess. For me it was less fattening. I read the first 8 Hamish Macbeth books over the Easter long weekend. They are very easy and, for me at least, quick to read and an enjoyable way to spend a lazy weekend.

Hamish Macbeth is the local bobby in the quiet Scottish village of Lochdubh. He is single and actively unambitious, much to the despair of love interest Priscilla. He solves the case, but is happy for Sergeant Blair, his superior from Strathbane, to take the credit. Though, in the last book I read - The Death of a Glutton, he has been promoted and given a staff member to supervise. It will be interesting to see how he copes with the added responsibility.

They are mysteries of the cosy variety. There is the murder, but there is no graphic detail and it's about solving the puzzle. I struggled to work out when the books were set. At one stage mention was made of it being close to the end of the century, but the tone was decidedly early to middle
of the century. By the 8th book I was getting a bit fed up with the overt morality that I was being hit over the head with. One of the character's mother objected to her daughter doing a law degree because she felt a woman's place was in the home.

Nonetheless, as soon as I got to work I was searching out the next books in the series! I was surprised to discover that the series is up to about 27 books.

No comments:

Post a Comment