Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Brooklyn - Colm Toibin

People that I know who have read Colm Toibin's books rave about his writing, so I had certain expectations before reading anything by him. I expect brilliant language and to be moved by any story he tells. Brooklyn
is the first of his books I've read, and frankly I don't see anything special about it. It's just like a hundred other books about a girl who has no job in Ireland migrating to the US in search of a job and a different future. Only different because it's been written by a man, and Eilis doesn't really ring true as a character. Granted, in those types of books something terrible usually happens to the main character and that is missing from this book... this is not necessarily a good thing.

It's a quick and easy but a nothing read. It's the story of a life I guess... but people don't really want to read about real life, where nothing much happens. I feel like Eilis isn't taking control of her life, she's not learning anything, instead she is just going with the flow. What a slow flow that is. She doesn't realise until too late that this lackadaisical attitude could have cost her happiness.

Maybe I am just used to reading more action packed books, that it has spoilt me for slower paced books. No, that can't be the case because I am happy to dip in to classics, such as Pride & Prejudice that aren't so fast moving either.
The only thing in it's favour is that it has only taken me 2 days to read. That's partly because I wouldn't be prepared to spend too much time on it.
If you want a nice easy to read "coming of age" story. I guess this is for you. That's the best recommendation that I can give it.

No comments:

Post a Comment