Friday, December 24, 2010

White Cat - Holly Black

About the Book
White Cat is about Cassel Sharpe. He is the youngest in a family of "workers" ie people who have the gift to magically affect people. Basically it's about how he isn't who he thought he was, he didn't do what he thought he did, and did what he never thought he could. I hope that doesn't give too much away!

My Thoughts

I think I read Ironside a couple of years ago and quite enjoyed it. When I saw Holly Black was starting a new series I was keen to read it. I didn't really know much about the book before I picked it up. Once I started it, I read it in two sittings. I was reluctant to put it down and it was only when I feel asleep that I did! I quite liked Cassel as a character. He was a good guy, but a bad guy as well. At least he thought he was. Lila was also a well drawn character. I didn't feel like the others - Philip, Barron, their mother and grandfather were quite well so drawn, but the book wasn't about them so it didn't matter so much. I liked the alternate universe that Holly created. Particularly the alternate Australian history where a large percent of the population is decendent from Workers who were transported as convicts. I can't wait to read the next in the series!

No comments:

Post a Comment