Sunday, January 12, 2014

Storm Front (Bk 1 of The Dresden Files) by Jim Butcher

Storm Front - Book 1 of The Dresden Files
Jim Butcher
Orbit, 2000
p322

Reading Challenge:
100+ Challenge
Series Challenge

About The Book
Harry Dresden is the best as what he does. Well, technically, he’s the only at what he does. So when the Chicago P.D. has a case that transcends mortal creativity of capability, they come to him for answers. For the “everyday” world is actually full of strange and magical things – and most of them don’t play well with humans. That’s where Harry comes in. Takes a wizard to catch a – well whatever.

There’s just one problem. Business, to put it mildly, stinks. So when the police bring him to consult on a grisly double murder committed with black magic, Harry’s seeing dollar signs. But where there’s black magic, there’s a black mage behind it. And now that mage knows Harry’s name. And that’s when things start to get… interesting.

My Thoughts
I bought the first eight books in this series from a street fair a couple of years ago and have been meaning to get around to them ever since. I thought about taking them home with me to read over Christmas… for the past two years but never did. It looks like 2014 will be the year to read them! I was at the beach when I started reading this book and within no time I was up to page 48 and it was time to go. It didn't take long to finish it, just another day and a half!

I quite enjoyed this book and look forward to reading more of the series. There was quite a bit of time spent setting up the premise of the Dresden Files world. Some of it was repeated a bit, but once the story got going I was hooked. It is an Urban Fantasy tale, which has humour throughout, to keep it from getting too dark.

The book moved at quite a quick pace. I didn’t even mind that it was told in first person… and I really don’t like first person narration. I guess it is because Harry Dresden doesn’t spend a lot of time on self reflection and that is a refreshing change.


Right on to book 2… 

No comments:

Post a Comment